Friday, February 19, 2010

Green with Crafty

Okay so that is a retarded title. Anyway, I decided it wouldn't hurt to have some reusable grocery bags around. I heard that it was easy to make your own and, hey, who doesn't need an excuse to do something other than housework? I looked around on line and I found this. I was thinking that these look way awesome and kinda prissy. I mean who needs such fabulous looking grocery bags.

She said she got her inspiration from here. Now that's what I'm talking about. Real easy and nothing too it. Reading other people's blogs and ideas, I found that some women just go to DI or similar and buy sheets and make their bags out of the sheets. So I started doing the math. You can get 10 bags out of a king flat sheet. For the heck of it, I worked out that 3 yards of material gets you 5 bags and the least amount of wasted material. (To make a bag approximately the size of a Target plastic bag you need 37.5 inches wide by 21.5 inches long.) I happened to be at Wal-mart and found some actually not too bad fabric for $1.50/yd. Somehow it seemed like cute bag material. I caved and bought a matching color to line it because they do look kinda cute. So here is my result. I ended up doing the prissy pattern and like it alot. I figured I can always do the real easy ones later and then use the prissy one's for heavy items or library books and the easy ones for everything else. Lena already loves them and cries "Purse!" every time she sees one. Then she hangs it on a door knob. I don't know.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

WOW! I love that you just decided to do it and went to it! :) They look great!